Monday, July 31, 2006

MP3: Cay - Peel Session 1998



I'm back. Had a loooooooong weekend, so until i've got the Gold Against The Soul article ready for the Manics Discography series, here's something else nice to tide you over. I thought i'd post another John Peel session from my mini archive. This time i've got four songs from Cay, a short lived female fronted British post-grunge band who released a series of great singles and one flawed but intermittently stunning album at the turn of the century (doesn't that sound impressive? Turn of the century I mean...). I was a big fan, and i've written about them on here in the past. Personally i'll always remember them for their stunning live shows (I got to see them with Muse, My Vitriol and Crashland), including a great main stage turn at the Reading Festival in 2000 or 2001 shortly before they disappeared.

This session was recorded on the 20th September 1998, and first broadcast on the 11th November in the same year. It would be the bands first Peel session (of two), and no doubt sooner or later I will get around to posting the second, which contains four unreleased songs that no doubt would have featured on their sadly never released second album. If you're a fan of Hole, Bikini Kill, Huggy Bear or anyone similar, they're definitely worth a listen, and you should be able to find their album very cheaply over at Amazon. My apologies for the relatively imperfect quality of these files, I think they were sourced from a tape recording of the original radio broadcast. Enjoy.

Cay - 01 Princes & Princesses (Peel session)
Cay - 02 Live & Learn (Peel session)
Cay - 03 Skool (Peel session)
Cay - 04 Neurofen & Brandy (Peel session)
Cay - 05 Nature Creates Freaks (Peel session)

7 Comments:

Blogger Simone said...

Wow, Muse, Crashland, Cay and My Vitriol all in the same post, what memories...

The main reason I don't forget Cay is my ongoing obsession with Spaced: in the pub (the Monarch?) there's a poster on the wall advertising a Cay gig. It brings back wistful memories every time I watch it. Because I'm sad like that.

11:42 am, July 31, 2006  
Blogger Simon said...

I was wondering if there was any Cay about on the net just the other day, and now it turns out that I'd missed you putting up Better Than Myself (unless that was the period when Rapidshare stopped working for me) Bugger. Great stuff, this post, though.

5:38 pm, August 01, 2006  
Blogger TSL said...

Thanks for this, I used to know Cay really well and this brings back great memories.

Especially hearing the version of Princesses & Princesses, because I recorded the original versions of that and the track 7even that appeared on the Organ cd.

It was hilarious, they did the whole thing live except for the vocals and it was so loud and rocking I had to compress everything much too heavily (which was because of my inexperience atthe time) just to keep the levels in check! On this Peel session version you can hear them just tripping over themselves, so anxious they are to kick out the jams!

8:57 am, August 02, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Geat to hear people still talking about Cay.

I've got most of the stuff recorded by Cay, including the 'Peel session' from 1998, the 'Lamacq session' from 1999, the 'Sean Hughes' from 1999, the 'Peel' from 2000. Also, Liverpool Radio 1 live session & Glastonbury (all recorded digitally by a friend) - plus the ITV video footage of them at Reading 2000.

I've got the first Org single & several of the others, plus the album.

What a great band, no one else has the 'vocal expression' that Anet has - what has happened to Anet & Nicky??

The HMK

12:30 am, December 10, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is very interesting site... » » »

12:27 pm, February 14, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful and informative web site. I used information from that site its great. Gangbang black women commercial coin operated washing machines and dryers Clothes maternity work Clothes washer drain framing Costa rica cheap international calling card Montgomery wards signature freezer part Velo peugeot team line Pics of porsche 911 Trace martin and skin and care high speed internet service providers in rockford St. john's bay microfiber jacket Hummer dealers wilkes barre pictures guys butts Business cards free 3

4:45 am, March 01, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looking for information and found it at this great site... county maricopa property tax http://www.mazda-ringtone.info Olympus digital camera printing Africa working abroad insurence Safilo eyewear dresses for less space pod egg chair Anti virus license blackjack Frontpage wedding templates Slot machines sale minnesota

6:53 pm, April 23, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home