Thursday, June 30, 2005

MP3: Karel Fialka / Hey Matthew




Okay now this song has absolutely no relation to any of the aims of my blog, but I decided to put it up because it's one of the most random things i've ever heard in my life. My friend Matt sent it to me, explaining that he had heard it when he was little and always thought it was about him. He's strange like that. Before you read any further, consider the boys look of fear on the front cover. I'm not sure I'd like to meet Karel Fialka, even now.

Anyway according to this website, Karel Fialka was born in India to a Czechoslovakian father and a Scottish mother. Perhaps this explains his complete and utter insanity, as perfectly demonstrated in this song. It came out in 1988 and was his biggest hit (but don't worry, I won't blame you if you haven't heard it). Apparently, 'Karel is still recording and also producing other bands as well as himself. He has been at work on his third album for sometime which should be with us soon.' I can hardly wait. Here are some highlights for you to listen out for:

  • Demented synths
  • Wwwwwwwoaw!
  • Fantastically bad eighties bass
  • The A-Team! The A-Team! The A-Team! I see the A-Team!
  • Crap Billy Bragg style eighties political subtext
  • A boat ...a big boat
  • I want to be a friend
  • It's aaaaaaaall a game. I hope...I hope I hope I hope.

    Listen and it'll make sense. Then you'll realise that this could possibly be the greatest song ever recorded. To paraphrase that website, 'Take your "hats off" and [enjoy] the unique & powerful music of KAREL FIALKA!'

    Download: Hey Matthew - MP3 2.62mb (rapidshare)

  • 14 Comments:

    Blogger Chris Brown said...

    I'm slightly too scared to download this, but I remember if from the time. I even remember him appearing on Top Of The Pops, and when I looked it up I found out he'd been on singing something else.

    10:38 pm, June 30, 2005  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Awesome, I've been trying to get this song for ages ;-))
    Look out for Karels other tunes too.
    "The eyes have it" dated yes but a nice bit of nostalgia.

    Thanks,
    Chris.

    6:56 am, July 29, 2005  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I had Karel as a music tutor while i was at college. The guy might only have had a small taste of fame but he is a genius when it comes to using sequencers, synths and recording gear.

    Hugh MacKenzie

    6:06 pm, October 06, 2005  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hey Matthew was a classic!! There is a divide in the nation as to those who remember it and those who don't!! I remember it on one of the Now albums and seeing them on Top of the Pops!!

    7:33 pm, September 16, 2006  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    LOL, cheers for the mp3/link... I'm absolutely cringing listening to this, it's just as horrible as I remembered :D

    4:06 pm, October 15, 2006  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I heard the song when i was 7... every morning, before i left to school. And it kinda scared me, crept into me. Haven't heard it since then until i was 24, and it is so great to find it back! Because i somehow have looked for it but had no idea of the title. I thought i'd never hear it again. What a piece of 80ies, trashy, weird, random but good! still has an effect on me that song..

    2:52 pm, December 02, 2006  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    This is very interesting site... »

    9:49 am, March 05, 2007  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Intertesting thoughts on Karel's music he has some new songs up at www.myspace.com/karelfialkamusic.

    I'm Steve by the way and I will openly admit that I'm involved in Karel's music.

    4:00 pm, March 21, 2007  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Very nice site! » » »

    1:20 am, April 27, 2007  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Great article! Thanks.

    10:59 pm, August 18, 2007  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Thanks for interesting article.

    4:23 am, August 19, 2007  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Nice! Nice site! Good resources here. I will bookmark!

    11:43 pm, September 09, 2007  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I see first time your site guys. I like you :)

    9:29 am, September 10, 2007  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Excellent website. Good work. Very useful. I will bookmark!

    8:34 pm, September 10, 2007  

    Post a Comment

    << Home