Thursday, March 09, 2006

MP3: Sona Fariq / Drop The Bomb


Sona Fariq had a very short but very exciting time in the semi-limelight. I believe they were formed around 1999 in East London, and after some very succesful first shows were very quickly signed to WEA. Produced by Chris Sheldon and Howie Weinberg, their self-titled debut was a rather fantastic blend of Rage Against The Machine, Asian Dub Foundation and the RHCP when they used to be good. I saw them twice, first at Southampton Joiners in September 2000 with Rico, and second with Pitchshifter and the much forgotten Workhorse Movement at the Portsmouth Pyramids a few weeks after. They were a very very good live band, and what they lacked in musical innovation they made up for in confidence and power. Their singer in particular had a pretty massive head but was such a good frontman that it could be forgiven, but who knows maybe that's the reason they didn't get very far. Singles included Drop The Bomb (available below), We Be On Fire, So Perfect, Move On and Love You Crazy, but soon after the album came out the band were (I believe) dropped by WEA. I'd always thought that they'd split up right then, but they did play some more gigs in 2002 and record some material, none of which has yet seen the light of day. The fact that one of them now plays in Queen Adreena (well, assuming they still exist) would seem to suggest they never will. Anyway hope you like it.


Download: Sona Fariq / Drop The Bomb - MP3 2.66mb (rapidshare)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too spent the nineties listening to Steve Lamacq and John Peel, and I'm impressed with the songs you manage to resurrect. I think I once saw Sona Fariq supporting Asian Dub Foundation, but I don't remember much about it, other than the lead singer had a great way of staring at the audience in an angry / slightly scary way.

7:47 pm, March 09, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's awesome that this was written only a few weeks ago, as I donwloaded all the Sona Fariq I could find off Napster in or about 2000, and loved it. Everyone I played it for at parties loved it and grooved to it. I still got the mp3's and started listening to it again over the last couple weeks (while snowboarding - maybe that helped the cause) and remembering why I liked it so much. I never saw them live, and it's a damn shame they didn't stay it through for more musik.

5:04 pm, April 02, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home