Tuesday, October 25, 2005

MP3: "The Sounds Machine EP3" - 2 - McCarthy


Second song from the Sounds Machine EP3 is by the now legendary McCarthy. McCarthy formed in the late 80s in Barking, and released 3 albums of politically charged Smiths-like indie pop that have only recently been re-released. Extremely intelligent, anti-Thatcher and and yet not Billy Braggish, the bands most famous influence can probably be seen in the Manic Street Preachers, who covered their songs 'Charles Windsor' and 'We Are All Bourgeois Now' as bsides. The bands three albums were 'I Am A Wallet' (1987), 'The Enraged Will Inherit The Earth' (1989), and 'Banking, Violence and the Inner Life Today' (1990). They also released a pile of singles and EPs.

'Should The Bible Be Banned?' was released as a single in 1988 preceeding their second LP, and is a pretty fine example of their material should you want to check out some more (which you really should!). Guitarist Tim Gane and some-time backing vocalist Laetitia Sadier later went on to form the rather superb Sterelab. Anyway for more information on McCarthy you can check out this Wikipedia article, this small page on Tweenet, or you can buy their records here. Enjoy.

Download: McCarthy - Should The Bible Be Banned? (7" edit) - MP3 2.64mb (rapidshare)

3 Comments:

Blogger John Eje Thelin said...

Thanks. This was interesting, as I think I would have loved it if I'd heard it at the time. Now, not so much, but it's fascinating to listen to it while trying to be my eighteen-year-old self.

8:54 pm, October 27, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I currently am my 18-year old self (in reference to the other post) and that was the best thing I've heard in a while. I like to believe that I'll like the music I do now in 5, 10, 20, 30, 50+ years. Yet, using my reason, I know that I won't be so enthralled by this (or this sort of thing) in 10 years. In 10 years, I just hope I won't be listening to Led Zeppelin instead, like my father does(only because I think it's junk right now, despite any sort of "musicanship").

3:16 am, November 08, 2005  
Blogger torchomatic said...

I bought this single when it came out. The lyrics are great. Do try and search out other McCarthy material.

7:54 am, February 15, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home