Friday, May 19, 2006

MP3: Elvis Costello - Big Tears



Okay then. Horrific hard drive problems sorted, so I can get back to posting. I finally managed to pick up the rather tremendous 2 disc remaster of Elvis Costello's 1978 classic second album This Year's Model, and it's such a nice package that I thought i'd post one of the bonus tracks. The song is called Big Tears, and is described by Costello as the only genuine outtake song from the Model sessions. I thought i'd post it because it's noteworthy for having Mick Jones of The Clash playing second guitar on it. Apparently Elvis loved The Clash and got Mick into the studio a couple of times, and there's even a version of Pump It Up with Mick on it that in Costello's words is 'lying around somewhere', though why it wasn't searched out and stuck on this CD i've no idea. Anyway the songs a goodun, and Mick's guitar playing and tone are so idiosyncratic that it's always nice to hear him on something different. Makes me want to stick on Sandinista. Hope you like it.

Meanwhile I'm seeing Morrissey tonight. This is a very big thing for me. I was actually one of those teenagers who didn't go out for most of their teenage years, and was cliched enough to just sit in my room nearly every night listening to the Evening Session and Peel, interspersed with Slint, early Manics and most importantly The Smiths (whilst reading Camus, natch), and Morrissey's music has and still does have a massive influence on my life. I'm not sure how I missed out on seeing him on the Quarry tour, but tonight should make up for it. My underlying Morrissey obsession is so big that I won't be surprised if by tomorrow, i've turned 100% gay. Until then, have a good one!

Elvis Costello - Big Tears - MP3 2.93mb

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home