Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Sugar: Your Favo(u)rite Thing



Oh Bob Mould how I love ye. Since I was 14 i've had a major Husker Du/Mould thing going on, probably fuelled mostly by buying Candy Apple Grey around the same time that I was also listening to The Queen Is Dead and Frame & Canvas. YOU know what I mean. There's really not a Husker album I don't love, and I'm also a big fan of a lot of Bob's solo stuff (which is what I count Sugar as being part of i'm afraid!). Some would say it's a proper band, but I kind of see it more as an attempt to cash in on the whole Nirvana thing by giving Bob + backing band a proper name. It just happened that he'd also written his most catchy solo stuff for quite a while around that time, and so 1992's Copper Blue was a massive hit, NME album of the year, etc etc yadda yadda. Suffice to say, it's tremendous, and the followup record wasn't too shabby either. Tonight I've got for you one of the singles from that LP along with it's three bsides, in which we get: a) chuggy Bobness reminiscent of his Black Sheets Of Rain LP, b) a total MBV ripoff written by Sugar bassist Dave Barbe, and c) a pretty nice instrumental. Enjoy!

Sugar - Your Favorite Thing
Sugar - Mind Is An Island
Sugar - Frustration
Sugar - And You Tell Me (TV Mix)

2 Comments:

Blogger James Feldman said...

You wouldn't happen to have the Sugar cover of "Armenia City in the Sky" would you? I've been looking for that since I lost it in 1996.

12:08 am, July 26, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow - b-sides are totally cool and the mbv rip is one of the best i've heard - thank you thank you thank you

10:03 pm, August 10, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home