Monday, November 05, 2007

Codename Sparrow - Thief In A Holding Cell



As far as I can work out from the very sparse amount of info I have on him, Codename Sparrow is one David Perry, ex-frontman of London's My First Knife Fight. Other than that, all I can tell you is that I really like the three songs i've heard, and i'm also impressed by the very very black cd they came on. No more info can be gleaned from his myspace, so all I'll tell you is that he creates a lo-fi (properly lo-fi, not 'we didnt do any violin overdubs) singer songwritery mess of melody that recalls the early three man lineup of Sebadoh to my ears. One of the few bits of info his myspace gives it that his influences include 'Tom Verlaine, The Cure, Arcade Fire and Built to Spill', so maybe the lo-finess is more out of necessity than desire, but either way I really like the three songs I heard (which included a Sharkboy cover, should you be interested). More songs can be found on his myspace. Enjoy.

Codename Sparrow - Thief In A Holding Sell

1 Comments:

Blogger Houman said...

David Perry is one of the best singer-songwriters around. MFKF were a fine band, but he was always the star of the show (and I reckon the MP3 you posted proves that)!

It's really good to see him getting some recognition. Nice one!

11:39 am, November 14, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home