Sunday, March 25, 2007

Living Living Living Living Life



Oh lordy. Oh lordy lordy. The latest artist to be confirmed for May's All Tomorrow's Parties festival is the uber-legendary Daniel Johnston. It's not too much of a surprise really, considering the fact that sometimes collaborators Okkervil River and Sparklehorse are also performing, but as his performances are still something of a rarity, any opportunity to see him should not be missed. He'll also be playing a London date around the same time, though no venue or ticket info has yet been announced. So this weekend I finally picked up the newish compilation Welcome To My World, which has a couple of songs on it that haven't been released on cd before, as well as lots of stuff from his best albums (Songs Of Pain, Yip Jump Music, Don't Be Scared). It's well worth a listen for anyone that's curious about his music, which I would think would be a lot more people considering the recent success of the Devil & Daniel Johnston film, which I think might have even been shown on Film Four over here in the UK. Here are a couple of my very favourite tracks. Enjoyyyy.

Daniel Johnston - Living Life
Daniel Johnston - True Love Will Find You in the End
Daniel Johnston - Story of an Artist

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's great that you paid a little homage to Daniel . . . and thank you for the news on that new compilation of his; I'll certainly look for it now.

Did you see the movie? That summer he was in Houston working at Astroworld, I went on the River of No Return ride he captained. I can't even begin to explain how his energy frightened the hell out of my six year old self while in his presence at that time. You don't come upon many "adults" like that in your life.

7:04 am, March 26, 2007  
Blogger Mr Rossy said...

OMG, i really hope he plays London, i can never afford to go ATP, nice post !!

Rx

3:14 pm, March 26, 2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

great stuff. I love the man!
thank you

6:56 pm, March 26, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home