Monday, March 26, 2007

Bootleg Heaven: Idlewild - Live in Tokyo 1998



This is SO good. So bloody amazingly good. Definitely the best thing i've pulled out of my old tape collection. It's Idlewild, in their earliest, greatest live lineup, playing in a country reknowned for stupidly obsessive fans. That's right folks, Idlewild were big in Japan, and the crowd reaction on this handheld tape recorded bootleg is hilariously over the top. Witness! Girls screaming for Roddy between every single song! A near riot when the band give out free badges! People singing the random SHAPES! in When I Argue..., and totally confusing the band (if you only download one song, make it that one)! And a fucking great setlist from a band that for a while were by far the most exciting live band in the UK. Sweet jaysus I love this bootleg. As you'd expect from a tape recorded performance the sound is shoddy as hell, but I think that only makes it sound better; it's one of the few bootlegs i've heard that truly sounds like it was made in the mosh (as Anthrax would say).

The show was recorded at Club Quattro, Tokyo on the 7th December 1998. Enjoy!!!

Idlewild - 01 Everyone Says You're So Fragile (live)
Idlewild - 02 When I Argue I See Shapes (live)
Idlewild - 03 Captain (live)
Idlewild - 04 Paint Nothing (live)
Idlewild - 05 Self Healer (live)
Idlewild - 06 Close The Door (live)
Idlewild - 07 A Film For The Future (live)
Idlewild - 08 This Is Worse (live)
Idlewild - 09 Last Night I Missed All The Fireworks (live)
Idlewild - 10 Annihilate Now! (live)
Idlewild - 11 Safe And Sound (live)
Idlewild - 12 You Don't Have The Heart (live)
Idlewild - 13 Satan Polaroid (live)
Idlewild - 14 New Song (live)
Idlewild - 15 4 People Do Good (live)
Idlewild - 16 I'm A Message (live)
Idlewild - 17 You Just Have To Be Who You Are (live)
Idlewild - 18 You've Lost Your Way (live)
Idlewild - 19 Chandalier (live - incomplete)

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If this is half as good as your write up, I am removing my socks right now to prevent them from being knocked off later!

I got "Broken Windows" when it came out and liked it, but it got lost amid some other newer artists I was listening to then. But "Warnings/Promises," bought off the recommendation of Jack Rabid in the great The Big TakeOver magazine, blew me away and brought me back.

So I am coming at this from a somewhat different perspective. New one is out in the U.S. next week, too!

Thanks,

Bruce K.

12:19 pm, March 27, 2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

Cheers for this! If you are Urusei yatsura fan (another lost scotish great) im hosting their BBC sessions on my site.

Pete
www.theplasticashtray.co.uk

http://www.urusei-yatsura.co.uk/disscus.htm for UY downloads

4:38 pm, March 27, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mate, could you do me a favour and re-up these?

Idlewild - 03 Captain (live)
Idlewild - 05 Self Healer (live)

Also could you throw me the MP3 of the original Captain? Thanks

Colin (ex-DiS)

P.S. - Reply to me at rubbafish@hotmail.com

2:00 pm, October 10, 2007  
Blogger CJG1983 said...

Any cahnce of re uploading this?

9:46 pm, December 17, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home