Monday, July 10, 2006

MP3: Liars - John Peel Session 2004



Here's something nice to tide you over until I get the first post in the Manics Discography done (see post below). I hadn't been a big Liars fan before the release of this years Drum's Not Dead, as I was always put off by the pretentiousness and the huge Pitchfork hype. However their latest album is such a good one that I don't think i'm the only person to be converted away from my past scepticism.

Along with the notorious !!!, I think Liars are probably the best band to come out of the recent Dance-Punk scene, and as I know that lots of bloggers and blog readers are fans, I thought i'd stick up this Peel session. Recorded in May 2004 (I believe just before they entered the studio to record Drums), the first three tracks are taken from that year's They Were Wrong, So We Drowned, and the fourth song, Bugman Needs A Hugman, I believe is still unreleased.

I've also got another Liars session from 2002 that i'll no doubt put up at a later date. Until then, enjoy.

On another note, today I realised that The Royal Tenenbaums is the only really good Wes Anderson film, and wondered why on the new Sonic Youth album Kim keeps singing like Nico. 'You're written in her book/You're number thirty-seven, have a look./She's going to smile to make you frown,/What a CLAAAAAAAARN.'

Finally, i'd recommend you scroll down a bit and download the songs by Tobias Froberg that I put up a few days back, because they're bloody good, and as yet no one has commented on them. Go on, be a pal.

Liars - 01 There's Always Room On The Broom (Peel 2004) - MP3
Liars - 02 If You're A Wizard Then Why Do You Wear Glasses (Peel 2004) - MP3
Liars - 03 We Fence Other Gardens With The Bones Of Our Own (Peel 2004) - MP3
Liars - 04 Bugman Needs A Hugman (Peel 2004) - MP3

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for these - much appreciated. Have you not seen "Rushmore", though? That's at least as good as "Tenenbaums"...

10:49 am, July 11, 2006  
Blogger Jamie Summers said...

Well i've seen Rushmore, and for some reason i didn't really like it. Don't get me wrong, i'm really into indie cinema and i'm a massive cineaste, but for some reason i couldn't really connect with Rushmore. Great cast, i'm a big fan of murray, schwartzman etc, but something was missing.

The only film thats ever caused me to ever walk out of a cinema was the life aquatic. the humour wasn't connecting and as everyone else seemed to be having the time of their lives (and often seemed to be trying a bit too hard to laugh and show how clever they were for liking the film), it was all a bit alienating.

I really get what he's trying to do with the humour and the surrealism but so far Tenenbaums has been the only film of his i've seen where i actually gave a shit about any of the characters (other than maybe murray in rushmore), and maybe thats what made it more enjoyable than his other films, which otherwise share much of the same elements/actors. the soundtrack is also generally far better than his other films too.

11:24 am, July 11, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw Rushmore first, which might be why I liked it so much - that was the first time I'd seen a Wes A film and the way the story was told really grabbed me. The ambivalence to the characters is what does it for me, too - the fact that you're simultaneously hoping Max will succeed and laughing when he doesn't. Anyway.

I've not seen The Life Aquatic (yet)...

8:11 pm, July 11, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

best regards, nice info Cpanel webmail Phone exchange areas epson stylus c80 ink cartridges Mature in shower backpacks for kids

6:03 pm, April 25, 2007  
Blogger Ben Vanpatten said...

Can you re upload these liars sessions along with the others please?
I cant find these anywhere!

6:09 pm, March 17, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home